Flint Hills REC has a policy in place that defers disconnection for non-payment, for members who are financially unable to pay their electric bill that meet the following criteria:
Postponement of discontinuance in special circumstances:
If a Residential member notifies the Cooperative in writing and establishes that:
- Discontinuance would be especially dangerous to the health of the member, resident member of the member's family, or other permanent resident of the premises where service is rendered; and
- Such member is unable to pay for such service in accordance with the requirements of the Cooperative's billing, is able to pay for such service only in installments.
- The Cooperative may either allow payment in reasonable installments or postpone discontinuance of service for at least twenty-one (21) days to enable member to make arrangements for reasonable installment payments.
- The member may establish that discontinuance of service would be especially dangerous to the health of the member, resident member of the member's family, or other permanent resident of the premises where service is rendered by obtaining a statement signed by a physician or public health official verifying that fact and forwarding or presenting it to the Cooperative office prior to the date of disconnection.
- In determining whether discontinuance would be especially dangerous to health, consideration will be given to the weather, and the member or other resident's medical condition, age, or disability, of which the member will provide verification.
- Where the seriously ill person shall not be under treatment on the premises, service will be subject to disconnect due to nonpayment of delinquent electric service bills unless satisfactory arrangements are made with the Cooperative to defer payment.
For more information please call our office at 620-767-5144.